Friday, April 30, 2010

God's provision is key

I got up and headed out the door to work on Thursday - yesterday - and as I reached for my key, I noticed it was gone. I keep my car key hanging out of the little coin pocket of my jeans so that I don't accidentally push any of the buttons on the little key fob. I have set off the alarm more than once, and I have walked up to the car to find it unlocked, or the trunk lid open, knowing that I did not leave it that way - so now the key fob lives on the outside of my pocket and no more trouble. But this time, it was not there. I went back into the house, said something to my wife about grabbing my keys, which I did in fact grab off my desk - but not the car key. I grabbed the whole big ring and headed out the door. I guess my brain was not quite awake yet... so once more I felt for the car key, and it was still gone. Turn around once more and head back to the house once more - I'm glad we don't have a real large estate with some long walk between the car plaza and the front door....

My wife walked up just as I was coming in for the third time, fishing in her purse and handed me the key to my car, with a smile on her face. I was confused - but here's the rest of the story:

The previous night I was at church. After worship/prayer, I decided to run home, as opposed to walking. When I do that, I head off across the parking lot uphill, and go to the top of the hill at Foothill road so I can then run along Foothill Road to the top of my street, then down my street and home. It is still less than a mile, but a much better workout than just walking straight home.

When I run, things do tend to come flying out of my pockets, so I usually end up holding my iPhone in one hand and my keys in the other hand. But apparently my car key jumped ship halfway across the parking lot. I must have really put on a blinding burst of speed at that point or something, or maybe God just wanted to teach me a lesson?

Some other saint saw the key on the ground, and they retrieved it and walked into the foyer of the church and announced it. My wife 'happened' to be still standing there in the foyer, and heard it. She glanced at the key and recognized it as ours. She took it from the person, and dropped it into her purse.

So there you have it - I lost it out in the middle of the parking lot, it didn't get run over, rather it was found and saved, then my wife was still at church when the person who found it came in and announced that they had, indeed, found a key. And then my wife looked at the key and recognized it as ours, and then she put it into her purse. The biggest miracle of this whole thing might just be that we ever saw the key again once Hope dropped it into her purse, but that's a blog for another day.

Also - Hope had planned on going shopping before work, and would have been in the next city (with my key in her purse) but for some reason I ended up going out the door ahead of her. Again, I guess it just 'happened' that way, right?

God seems to truly delight in blessing us. Sometimes in real big flashy ways, other time He does it by weaving together a hundred seemingly unrelated little things just to show us that He is, in fact, God, and we are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment