Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Depressed


I have battled depression most of my life. I see hurt where no hurt is intended, and I tend to put myself in the center of things as if people actually think more about me than they do. It's a classic conundrum - I worry about things I can't control, and let go of the control over the things I should be worried about.

So - what works when I get down, as I am now? Prayer and the word. I have to wash myself in it. Soak myself in it. Immerse myself in it. I guess it must work, since my wife has not killed me. Yet...

In fact, we are coming up on 30 years - our thirtieth anniversary is at the end of this month, June 2010. We joke about how we have had some good years and some not-so-good ones. I guess all couples can say that. We have humor in our relationship, and it helps a lot. But the only other thing which can pull me out of a deep funk is my wife. The apostle Paul said to the Corinthians,

"(1 Cor. 1:) 4I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— 6because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. 7Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful."

I can turn in one of two ways today - I can sink deeper and become more silent, more alone, more bitter about the things in my life not going the way I wish they were,

or

I can be thankful for the blessings I have been given, and the wonderful people which live in my life. People who are filled with God's grace in Christ Jesus, people who confirm the testimony that Christ desires to keep me strong to the end.

Excuse me, but I have a life to live - a day to conquer. See you out there, among the blessing of God.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks, Chas.

    ReplyDelete