Saturday, June 19, 2010

My wife - my goodness!

My wife and I have very distinctive communication techniques. Very different - from each other.

This morning, we got into an argument. It was only a few minutes of squabbling, when I was about ready to just leave the room and start my day. Forget it. She was never going to 'hear' me.

But at that moment, it dawned on me - we would not be arguing unless we cared deeply about the other person. If I was having this discussion with somebody about whom I did not care, there would BE no battle. I wouldn't care if some stranger ever 'got it' or not. But this is a person I care deeply about -

So I said that. I mean, I told my wife that the whole reason we were having this clash at all was because we both deeply cared about the other, and what the other thought about our feelings and ideas mattered to each of us. And THAT is when we looked at each other, smiled, hugged, and changed the subject.

It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment