Friday, June 25, 2010

Faith. Oh yeah, I have that...


I have faith! Sure I do. But do I trust more when I have a solid income? That's an amazing question. I have found that there are many questions which can only be asked and answered by direct observation.

"Is that hot?" A quick touch can tell you more, faster than going to get a thermometer or other tool.

"Does this have enough salt?" A quick taste will let you know.

Do I really trust God even when my income has been removed? OK - THAT one may not be easy, and the 'quick touch' or 'quick taste' may end up taking several years to achieve, but God loves me enough to go to the lengths required.

But - and you knew there would be a conjunction here, didn't you? But what is "a quick" anything to God? What is several years to an infinite being?

I have told so many of my customers how to lower the pH in their pool or spa. The basic formula is, "add enough acid until you get the reading you need."

Sounds so simple, but some people will call me and complain that they have "added a ton of" whatever chemical they are talking about. But then I press them to give me a quantified amount: "how much, exactly, have you added."

"A cap-full."

Great. That's not enough. Go add a full measured cup, or four full ounces (or whatever), test an hour later, and then call me if it's not where it should be.

"wow - that much? I guess I just didn't think it would take that much."

So - to the question of my faith in God - do I have it? We will see. As the bank accounts creep lower, and IRA accounts are being set to be emptied, property is being offered for sale, 'things' are being cleaned up for sale, businesses are being groomed for closing - we ask ourselves:

"When is it enough to prove that we trust God?"

When He says it's enough.

James 1:2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

(in context here)

No comments:

Post a Comment