Monday, October 12, 2009

It's getting so you can't even trust the trash man.


Columbus day. The banks are closed, no mail delivery, and I took the recycling in for redemption. Missed two large bags in the side yard, too. Bummer. But the biggest bummer was the fact that I discovered about recycling: they don't pay you what you should be getting! It's true! They just weigh the stuff and give you a discounted amount. There are signs on the wall spelling it out. I cleared just under $30 today, even with the two missed bags, but I wonder how much I would have gotten if I could find a place which gives me the actual five cents per bottle or can? I tell you, it's a conspiracy! A scandal! America needs to know this! OR, maybe I have just found an idea for a new business...

I was thinking about the reason these people cheat us as they do - I'm sure they don't have the manpower or the willpower to sift through bags full of wet, sticky bottles and cans and actually count them, so they just give you an amount based on, well, I don't know what it is based on. It could be the boss' hat size, or the boss' daughter's shoe size. Or the number of people who have mentioned it them, only to have them suggest that they can take there bottles and cans somewhere else to redeem them.

Where is customer service? Oh the humanity! Where is the concern for the common man? Where is there a place that I can actually get my lousy nickel back for each of these bottles and cans. After all, I paid the nickel up front with the expectation of getting it back. Small parts of my life are built, planned and laid out around the return of that money. I said "small parts," and I meant "small parts."

OK, I'm sure you didn't tune in today to hear a rant. I guess that's just the way the belly buttons sometimes. However, if you think this is a grave injustice, and you want to do something about it, let me know. If we gather enough people who have passion for nickels, I bet we could get a new law passed. Let's call it the "Sticky Stimulus."

2 comments:

  1. Chas, you need to go to those "Re-Planet" stations located at the supermarkets. The one where I live isn't open on Mondays for whatever reason, but you can either weigh your cans there, or use the machine and let it count them out one by one. Then, you take your ticket inside (the respective supermarket) and redeem it for cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try that for the remaining cans and bottles, and for the new piles which seem to collect around here at an amazing rate. I'll report back on my findings in the search for the mythical 'fair deal' in recycling...

    ReplyDelete