Friday, February 26, 2010

Beware the Grumblers


In my reading this morning, I came across the story of Aaron and Miriam in the Old Testament. specifically Numbers Chapter 12 where Aaron and Miriam begin to grumble about Moses, saying, "2 "Has the LORD spoken only through Moses?" they asked. "Hasn't he also spoken through us?" And the LORD heard this.

Uh oh.

If you are familiar with the story, you will recall that God literally calls them out on this one. And Miriam is struck with leprosy on the spot. Both the men ask God to forgive and heal her - which is so cool because Moses had every reason to just laugh, or tell her it was what she deserved, or any of those things which would happen if this was a movie or TV show...

But it was real, and Moses heard the plea of Aaron, and he prayed to God on behalf of Miriam. Wow - would I do that? I guess I have these examples for a reason, don't I? I had better learn about this concept of praying for those who work with me, and also those who work against me. But Moses was "a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

I would be proud to have that said about me.

Uh, OK, you know what I mean...

No comments:

Post a Comment