Thursday, February 25, 2010

You CAN go home, but you shouldn't

Quail from the LORD

4 The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, "If only we had meat to eat! 5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. 6 But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!"


I love the little phrase, almost slipped in as a quick little jab, which says, "at no cost.."

The people where complaining that back in Egypt they at fish. It's the "at no cost" part that gets me. There was a HUGE cost to them: they were slaves! Do they really forget that they were not living in Egypt as free men? They may have had all they needed, but nowhere do we see that they had all they wanted. They were owned by Egypt.

I think we tend to want to 'go back to Egypt' from time to time because we forget what it meant to us to be slaves. Slave to sin, slaves to our bellies, slaves to the world. I have given up many things to follow Christ, but not one of them was a benefit to me and I am better off for having given them up. But yes, there are times when I am tempted to go back to them.

Lord, you have delivered me - now keep me.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I tried to post a comment, but it disappeared. It may show itself later, but oh well. It said something like this:

    For those with hearts that truly want to honor God, there's some beauty in this struggle though. So often, when we do try to "go back", we can't because our growth in Christ won't allow it. There's a song that I listen to OFTEN, because it reminds me that if I try to go back to "Egypt", I won't "fit" there anymore.
    I'm going to post the lyrics, k? Cool.

    I don’t want to leave here
    I don’t want to stay
    It feels like pinching to me either way
    The places I long for the most
    Are the places where I’ve been
    They are calling after me like a long lost friend

    It’s not about losing faith
    It’s not about trust
    It’s all about comfortable
    When you move so much
    The place I was wasn’t perfect
    But I had found a way to live
    It wasn’t milk or honey
    But then neither is this

    I’ve been painting pictures of Egypt
    Leaving out what it lacked
    The future seems so hard
    And I want to go back
    But the places that used to fit me
    Cannot hold the things I"ve learned
    And those roads closed off to me
    While my back was turned

    The past is so tangible
    I know it by heart
    Familiar things are never easy to discard
    I was dying for some freedom
    But now I hesitate to go
    Caught between the promise
    And the things I know

    If it comes too quick
    I may not recognize it
    Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?
    If it comes too quick
    I may not appreciate it
    Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?
    "Painting Pictures of Egypt" by Sara Groves

    ReplyDelete