Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thank-you note

A friend of ours suggested that we have a work day. We own a commercial building which was trashed and abandoned by the last tenant. It needed serious clean up, including drywall work, landscaping, paint and more. I have been at it for long days and evenings for weeks, making steady progress.

With very little prompting, and no actual begging (that I know of - ) we had a great turnout. Jacki Reed brought a pot of delicious BBQ and rolls, salad, and more. Between her and Hope we had sodas and bottled water on ice, snacks as well as a real meal available as needed all day.

I had tools at the ready, though many people showed up with what they needed in their hands! What a great group of people god has surrounded us with!

I was there at around 7am making sure the place was warm and lit, and setting things in place to be sure nobody had to stand around waiting. I had more than one moment in which I wondered if anyone would come to help, or would I be the only one at the party. I knew one or two would be there for sure, but what would the day hold?

Tom Houde got there a good hour before the rest of the folks, after having stopped at our warehouse to collect a few items we would need, and then we went over the plan so that he could help facilitate as 'foreman.'

And it all went well. I was 'in a meeting' with a potential new tenant as people began to show up, but Tom and Hope directed them here and there, and they all pitched right in, praying that the lease would get signed at the same time.

And it did! Well, not the actual lease, yet, but we hammered out all the details and as soon as I can get the final lease drawn up she said that yes, she will sign it and get started on the improvements she needs to make to move in ASAP.

Thanks to God for good friends, a good new tenant, a renewed faith in our local church, and even my sore back! We got an amazing amount of work accomplished - Jacki Reed and Henry Smith hung around after most everyone else had gone home and continued to paint the walls with primer. New drywall really soaks it up, so it was slower going than normal paint, but they put in the effort.

My MVP for the day would have to be Tom Houde. Excellent team leader, team player, hard worker, and Tom was the first there and last to leave. He directed, oversaw, and encouraged the others at the same time he got a lot of jobs done with his own two hands. And Tom primed the very high ceiling in the main room, no small task I assure you.

So thanks to one and all, and once again, Thanks be to God for surrounding us with such great friends, brothers and sisters. I am proud and humbled all at the same time! I was too busy to snap any real good pictures, and I so badly wanted to take one group photo, but nobody stood still long enough! But I will hold these memories for years to come, I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment