Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday

Well dear reader - I want to thank you for showing up here again. I try to post things that might be of interest, things which challenge me to grow - and I hope might also challenge you in much the same way. But you just never know what is strictly for me, and what is strictly for you.

So - today it's all about Sheep.

I was just reading Revelation 5, where there is a scroll with seven seals. That means it was sealed by God, because 7 is God's number, so to speak.

But who would be worthy to come forward and break the seals and open the scroll? Sure, there is a lot of imagery here, we are reading a careful description of heavenly things put down as well as a man can do so. But of course, overseen by the Holy Spirit.

Who comes forth to break the seal? Who is worthy? A lamb.

I have been in arguments with other Biblical Students (and teachers) over whether or not this Lamb was a four-legged lamb, or a representation of Jesus Christ. The conclusion I come to is that if John had seen a man he would have written something else, like "Lamb of God," or "Son of Man," or "Son of God," or "THE Lamb," etc. He wrote "a lamb."

And then he goes on to say, "looking as if it had been slain," which tells us that even though it was a lamb, it was also The Lamb. That would be Jesus - the one who died for you and I.

The only one who was worthy to do so - is now the only one who is worthy to do this.

God has such detailed plans - and yet we fear. We doubt. We forget that even the tough parts of our lives work in perfect harmony with God's plan for us - because I doubt that any of us would volunteer to leave God's side, descend to Earth, and then to die in pain and agony. And even fewer of us would volunteer to do that for a bunch of people who had a proven track record of turning their backs on you.

1 comment: