Friday, January 21, 2011

Change happens

My world changed last night. I bet you know that his blog is part of my prayer life. That may sound strange, but I often sit and write huge volumes as 'letters to God,' and then most often I delete all or part of it, often posting something completely different than what I started with as I move into my daily Bible study, other times posting a singe sentence or paragraph from what began as a massive tome. I wrote yesterday about how God is not afraid of change - I actually wrote this:

"We truly serve a God who is not afraid of change. Let's embrace it with Him."

Duh! I should be careful what I ask for - and yet...

Well, it has happened. Relax, nobody died or anything. And no, it's not as if this one change is likely to be the end of changes for awhile. At our church board meeting last night some changes came about, and I have no way to even predict how far-reaching the changes will be. I have been asked to chair the Pastoral Search Committee.

I am proud to serve on the board, humbled to serve on the board, comfortable serving on the board, and challenged by serving on the board. All at the same time, most of the time. I can remember a brother asking me to consider serving on the board well over 15 years ago - he said something like, "it's a meeting a month, not that much of a time demand." I was not taken in: I assumed it would be more than that, and it has proven to be so. I have learned as much from my service in this one small thing as just about any other part of my life - for two reasons:

1.I'm not always the majority opinion, and
2.I need large amounts of prayer, and prayer changes people.

But this will be a new chapter in my life of service at this church. I will be coordinating the search for our new pastor. I am surrounded by good people - really good people - who have worked very long and hard already, and I trust that God will help me bring something to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment