Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pay up!


I just read the story of the unmerciful servant, from Matthew 18:21-35. You know the story: the King calls a man in and demands what he is owed. The man begs for patience, saying he will pay all he owes to the King. Instead, the King forgives the debt and sets the man free. But very soon the man comes across another man who owes HIM some small sum, and he demands the money - to the point of having the second man tossed into debtor's prison.

I also read in Exodus 20 where the Ten Commandments are given, and they start with, "You shall have no other gods before me."

In both instances I thought to myself - no, I'm good on both accounts. I don't have other gods before the Lord (Idols), nor have I ever tossed anyone into prison for owing me but not paying me money.

But wait. Have I? There are people who have done me wrong, either by taking from me, or by failure to pay for things I have sold them or done for them. I'm trying to be vague here on purpose: I don't want to start going down a list of debts in writing nor in my mind. That's my whole point: Jesus told us, "28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Eugene Peterson renders that passage this way in 'The Message:' 27-28"You know the next commandment pretty well, too: 'Don't go to bed with another's spouse.' But don't think you've preserved your virtue simply by staying out of bed. Your heart can be corrupted by lust even quicker than your body. Those leering looks you think nobody notices—they also corrupt.

So - if I apply the words of Christ to this situation, it might go something like this: "if I allow the anger, bitterness or simple unforgiveness to linger regarding any outstanding debt - then I am guilty of the debt myself and am sinning."

So - to answer the question which I'm sure is on your mind: No, I have never chased a debt (or debtor) into court and/or into jail. I trust God to bring in what is owed to me. But am I that pure in my mind? Do I actually forgive those who owe me?

Well, I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment