Monday, January 18, 2010

What's this water falling in my eye? It's coming from the sky!


Rain. The Bible says that God sends it to fall on the 'just and the unjust.'

It falls on good fields and poor fields, valleys and plains, concrete jungles and jungle jungles, people, animals bird, river bottoms, mountains, lakes, and far out to sea. The mountains, hills and valleys around us catch the water and collect it. If we are smart, we have put reservoirs in the right places to catch and hold the water for a dry day. Sort of like our spiritual life: we need to be people of the word and prayer in good times, so we have reserves of the spirit during dry times.

Of course, here in southern California we don't have enough rain to keep all of our lakes and reservoirs full all the time, so we move water from the northern part of the state - 300 miles away - to feed our growing population. That was water which fell as snow as well as rain on the mountains up north, and would have run out to the Pacific Ocean through the Golden Gate and other places if not diverted.

Thanks, Northern Cal! And thanks God. And thanks to those engineers and thinkers who found ways to catch, move, and hold all those millions upon millions of gallons of water. And make some fine water skiing lakes while they were at it. Bonus.

And now, if you'll excuse me - I have to go walk. In the rain. Or at least on the rain-soaked pavement - I seem to see a break in the rain for right now - so I'm going to go do a couple of miles and see if I can stay dry. If not, I have a nice warm shower and a clothes dryer waiting for me at home, so I'll just take the chance.

UPDATE-

Well, I'm back from my walk. I got to the 2 mile point when it started a little sprinkle. I enjoyed it! But I also headed for home. Total walked - 2.4 miles. I pushed it hard today - I could tell by the time, and by the fact that I was steaming up my glasses before the rain started to fall. I guess walking in a raincoat has some advantages and some disadvantages. Alright - get out there and own the day!

2 comments:

  1. That one drained the Holy Spirit right out of me, rather than uplifting.

    Gone - Tom Houde - disconnected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    Thanks for having the courage of your convictions to challenge me on this one. Yes, I have seemed to hit a dry spell, pardon the pun. But people like yourself who have the guts to say the tough things are what every one of us needs in our lives. OK - let's kick it up a notch. I don't expect to make it to the status of Apostle in one leap. But I do want to be sure I am growing daily, even a little bit. Falling forward still beats standing still.

    ReplyDelete