Friday, January 15, 2010

To old friends - or young friends from the old days.


I blogged yesterday about feeling old. I mentioned that we have seen amazing advancements in technology in our lives. I was wondering at the things I have seen invented, created, or perfected and brought into the mainstream of life during my time here so far.

Then I sent a text message to my friend Terry, the one I am meeting today for lunch. I lost track of Terry close to thirty years ago - but I began searching the Internet for any sign of him about five, ten or so years ago. I paid for one of those "There are fifty five thousand (Drop-dead gorgeous female) people looking for you right now" web sites that was supposed to have all of his records from our High School. They didn't. I casually did Google searches now and then for his name, his dad's name, I went to our High School Alumni web site, nothing.

Then I found MySpace. I was suddenly in contact with several friends from the old days. I have relocated from Northern California to Southern Cal, so I was not easy to find, and so many many people have also moved away from the San Fransisco Bay area into the far corners of the globe. What is it with us people? Why don't we put down roots and then stay there for a couple of generations? My dream was to own a large parcel of land where I could build a life, then build a small house for my kids to move into, then move them into the 'big house' when Hope and I were old and they had families.... nice dream. They don't make dreams like that anymore, do they? And they certainly don't pass those kinds of dreams on to our current generation, either.

So - MySpace connected me with many friends and relatives, but it seemed to be a passing fad, at least for most of my circle. Then it was Facebook. And I would search for Terry every once in a while. And finally, I began to find a few people with his same first and last name. So I sent out notes to all of them. Got a few lewd and crude responses, a lot of NO responses, and finally just gave up.

Then I got a note from Terry - the right Terry. He and I are meeting today for lunch. We have a lot to catch up on. The funny thing is - we did most of our catching up on Facebook already. But if all we do is laugh at all the exploits we shared in our youth, well, we might be there till dinner.

Let you know how it goes.

BTW - I want to say Thanks for reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment