Sunday, November 1, 2009

Borders and Boundries


Boundaries are things of man's creation. I have to almost weep, sometimes, at the wars large and small which have been fought over boundaries. Lines on a map. Land wars, civil wars, world wars, turf wars, gang wars, even my wife and I with the division of the blanket at night.

At my age you would think that I would have learned a little something about the futility of fighting a turf war. I don't want to admit it, but I am so territorial. We humans are. We so badly want to stake our claim and then die protecting some line which we consider so important, but which God must consider irrelevant.

Well, what about a plan, made by man and defended to the death? The plans we make for our lives very much represent boundaries and borders. They often mark our territory in ways we sometimes don't even see. They can be freeing, motivating, and good for us, but they most often are very limiting. They set the boundaries of just how far we plan to go in certain areas of our life.

To a person who wants to reflect God in every part of their life, what are we doing allowing our kingdom to have borders worth fighting over? Especially when we may very well be fighting with God. The borders of my life are in flux right now. I have many plans which are now proving to be impossible to execute, as our financial situation changes almost daily. So - what do I do with these boundaries I have set up in my life? Do I let God into the space I have reserved for my own sovereign kingdom? I do want to, but will I forget the lines I have drawn? I am comfortable with my space - my life - just the way it was. Will I see that these plans I have clung to for so long are, in fact, boundaries which are holding me in when God may very well be moving me out?

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment