Friday, November 20, 2009

Job


I just read an update on Facebook by a pastor who I knew long ago, far away. In just a few words he mentioned Job, and he stated a great truth. He said that for about 38 chapters Job was asking WHY. But finally Job begins to see WHO. Who God is. And it changes him.

I'm sure I had read this truth, and I may have even preached or taught about it But it struck me like new as I scanned the update. So I went to the Bible and read. If the name is not familiar to you, Job was a man who is mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible. I say this because it dawns on me that not everyone knows the truth of the story of Job. He had some troubles. To say the least. Family wiped out, lands taken, houses lost, herds and flocks wiped out. Sounds like Nic Cage. But it went farther - Job lost his health. God allowed him to be struck with boils, and he ended up sitting on a pile of ashes scratching at himself with shards of pottery. I happen to think the ash pile was the remains of his family home - which would double the pain in my mind - but we don't know for sure. And it is made very clear in the narrative that God had a direct hand in taking all of this from Job to test him.

Job has some friends who come to 'comfort' him, but they only end up making Job question God. And finally, in about the 39th chapter of this rather long story God speaks to Job. It takes two chapters before God is finished asking Job what could be boiled down to this question: "Which of us is God?"

And Job, perhaps for the first time in his life, understands - and realizes who God really is. He uses the words "see you with my own eyes," and I don't know if that is flowery wording to convey that Job finally grasps the reality of God or if Job really did see God. The point is that Job knew all about God before, but at this point he gets to know God. Firsthand. Personally. In the fullness of reality.

And only then does Job realize - it is not about Job, his family, his possessions, or even his health. It is, and always was, about God. Do you know God? No, not just know about Him, but know Him? He sent his Son Jesus to allow for us to know Him personally. And if you are in the midst of a tough time - and so many of us are - I guess the story would be an example to us: God knows, and He wants us to know Him.

The question of "why" should fade into the darkness when the bright light of who God is begins to shine in our life.

1 comment:

  1. Asking why is holding God accountable, judging Him as though He answers to you. Great blog - our season is now to move beyond Why to Who!

    ReplyDelete