Monday, November 16, 2009

Counter Culture

Did you know that you can find great-tasting recipes for the traditional Thanksgiving feast which contain much less fat? And far fewer calories? Why don't we, as a culture, pursue these things? We just tend to pour on the fat, add the oil, bake in the calories. Why? We have always done it that way...

I heard an old joke once: a young man and his grandfather were fishing in the stream near the old farmhouse. Every time the grandfather would catch a fish, he would quickly measure it, and to the surprise of the boy, he would toss back the big ones and keep the small ones.
"Why do you toss back the big ones, Grandpa?" he asked.
"Grandma's skillet is only ten inches," said the wise old man...
Some traditions just seem to make more sense than others, I guess.

So - I just downloaded a bunch of new recipes for our feast this year. We are inviting about twenty or twenty five people over for T day. Among them are my walking partner and my Weight Watchers partner. So, I'm hoping that if we offer some lower-cal recipes they will go over alright... But I'll update the blog after the fact and see if we lose any friends over it..

In the meantime - you'll have to forgive me if I have become a good-health evangelist. I don't mind that so much, but let me know if I cross the line and become a low-fat-vigilante or anything. I don't want to reach out and smack the cookie out of your hand... But I do care about my friends and relatives. And I can't tell you how bad it got for me when I was not caring about my own health. So I am putting the two together.

Go to Weight Watchers.com and look around for good recipes. Google "low fat alternative recipes" and find some for T day. Let's get radical! Let's go against the flow! Let's lose the flab, America!

I am going walking now...

1 comment:

  1. Update - walked twice around the two-mile route, plus the .4 miles to and from the starting point. What a great way to start the week!
    Weighed in - lost 4.2 pounds this week. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete