Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas Show


My kids are creating a Christmas light wonderland in my front yard. I have seen many of these amazing shows on YouTube, as I'm sure you have as well. The kids worked together with several other people last year to create an amazing show at their house last year, but they have moved into a townhouse now and really can't do so much. So my lawn is covered with fifteen Christmas trees, four large arches, and many thousands of feet of cables.

It doesn't look bad during the day, but it is designed to really be spectacular at night. The "Mega Tree" is made of cables and a pole with a hundred or so light strands strung from the ground to the top. It is made of green light strands, and it has a white star on top, but any other resemblance to a real Christmas tree fades in the light of day. I may go see about placing some ornaments on it- but they would have to be carefully chosen not to detract from the show. Not knocking it -it still looks very festive in daylight, it just doesn't look like a Noble Fir or somesuch.

If you don't know about these shows, or have never seen one, go to this site and see the shows 'we' put together last year. One show just like this was featured in a famous commercial and I think most TV watching people on the planet have seen at least that one.

Vimeo/Stephen Wolf

But - if you want to see the Christmas show at our house, be sure to come at night. They are knocking themselves out on it - lights up on the ridge of the roof, four colors on the eaves, downlights under the eaves, wreaths, arches, mega tree, mini trees, all set to motion, computer controlled and set to music. My niece is even doing some of the programming for her Senior Project.

I could make a statement here - something about how our lives can look real good under the right circumstances, but not look so good under the close scrutiny, or under the bright light of day.

But I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment