Thursday, March 11, 2010

A friend


I lost a friend named John yesterday. I was busy running around my life as usual, and I had to pause and look inside.

John and I served together. That was going to be the first part of a statement about something we did together, but as I type just those words, I realize that the essence of our relationship is captured best right there. "We served together."

In serving together, we had our differences, disagreements, disappointments, delights, laughter and we developed a sense of camaraderie which comes from time in the trenches together. Yes, we did field a shot or two - from people and from situations - which made us appreciate each other. And we laughed together over cards more than once, I assure you. While eating some delicious goodies and learning just how competitive certain people can be... "just a friendly game" may never have the same meaning for me...

This is not some official obituary, but John Woertink entered into God's rest in his sleep after a brief battle with cancer. He was actively serving God at his local church almost to the end of his time here. He is survived by his loving wife Ruth, grown children and grand children. And many friends who sampled and enjoyed the hospitality of a warm christian home.

John - we will miss you, but we know we will see you again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment