Monday, March 29, 2010

A lot of loss

"I need to put it in gear. "

That saying is so very appropriate to me today. It is Monday, my 'day off,' and I would really love to just putter around the house: mow the lawns, do some weeding, maybe even buy a few new plants to put in the ground to make the place look a little better. But I have a bunch of broken cars and trucks to get to work on - so I'll be "getting it in gear," any minute now. Soon. Real soon.

But first a moment of private grief. Within the past two days I have lost two friends. One was a dear old saint - she would not mind me calling her dear, nor 'old.' Mabel was a wonderful lady who served God to the very last breath He afforded her, and it is my firm conviction that Mabel is in the presence of her savior right now, rejoicing.

Another friend, this one a young man with children scattered in age and geographically, took his own life. The questions we all ask ourselves at this point came immediately to mind: could I have been a better friend? Why didn't he talk to us, to me, about hitting a level of pain that would push him to do this? He had great loss in his recent history, but none of us loved him less nor would have hesitated to do whatever we could have to keep him moving on. But he is gone.

And then this morning, I opened an email and learned that my favorite aunt passed away. She actually passed a couple of months ago but my cousin has been busy with the details and apologetically just notified people now. Having lost both of my parents within the past few years, I completely understand the whirlwind of details, emotions and thoughts that can overtake a person. In fact, Pauline was the last of the siblings. In the past five years - give or take - my Mom's brother, twin sister, sister-in-law and both brothers-in-law have passed. It is the end of an era in our family - and I hope we can get all the cousins together once more before the next chapter begins to close.

But that's a lot of loss to absorb. I can't tell you how glad I am that I have family, friends, and a loving heavenly Father who are all willing to share in the pain. A real support team. Awesome.

And a set of wrenches, waiting for me to get to them. That will have to be therapeutic, and I think it might actually be.

OK - I pray for the friends and families of the loved ones we have lost. Lord Jesus: It is a sad time, it is a sweet time, it is all a part of life. Thanks for walking along with us - thanks that death is not something you don't understand. You even grieved the loss of friends while you were here on earth, and I know you grieve for the lost all the time. It is a comfort to know that you understand. Thank-you Lord. Amen.

God bless you - each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment