Monday, March 22, 2010

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their coutnry, and PRAY.

I have been following three very different 'news' items lately - two young women who are sailing single-handed around the world, and the health care bill.

I'm not going to get into the health care bill at this time, but suffice to say that I am not encouraged by recent votes and activity.

However, I was challenge by a simple thought which occurred to me this morning as I glanced at the blogs and updates from my two mariners: they simply updated the people who are following them about how fast they are currently sailing, where they are, and things like that. The very same things that they have been doing for weeks, months. They even offer encouragement to one another, even though to a certain extent they are competing to be the first to do what they are doing.

It was an encouragement to me. Their exploits seem to be larger than life to me - what an amazing thing for a young woman to take on - but the ocean is a tough mistress, and if they take their eyes off of what they are doing right now they could end up in serious trouble. At the very least, they could go off course and have many miles to make up getting back on course.

It seemed a fitting metaphor for us as a country: we need to keep our eyes focused on the true source of everything we need in our lives, and that most certainly is NOT the government. It is God.

So as our young friends give us this simple example of maintaining focus, I would call us as believers to maintain focus: keep praying for our country, for the unborn, for our leaders, and keep our eyes on God. HE is the author and perfecter of our faith, and the source of everything we need to live.

Keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment