Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Coins

I have a bunch of coins that my father left me when he died. He was a coin collector, of sorts. He didn't really know what he had, he just bought from one of those places which tells you that what they have for sale is the best thing you could ever want to collect. As a result, I am pretty sure that there are thousands of retired people around the country with the exact same collections. The coin companies send them out 'on approval,' and you have a certain number of days to see if you want that set of coins, or you can send it back. They kept sending them after he passed away, and I finally had to get somebody on the phone and let them know he had passed. They told me they would close his account and that I could keep whatever coins they had sent out which he had not paid for. Didn't reassure me about the value of the coins they had sent, and it made me question whether or not I was ever going to be able to do anything with Dad's collection: were there any valuable coins hidden among the coins which only had face value?

The problem was that this was not a hobby I shared with Dad, so the only attachment to it was the fact that it had brought him some small joy. So I will keep a few of the nicer coins as a remembrance of Daddy, but little by little I will have to go through the thousands of coins and sell them on Ebay. The first one is up as I write this, and it has some people watching it but no bids. So it goes. A thing is just a thing, and it only has as much value as people attach to it.

People, on the other hand, have as much value as God attaches to them. And he sent his only Son to die for them. Now THAT is value.

No comments:

Post a Comment