Wednesday, December 2, 2009


"You can't go wrong with land, they're just not making any more of it." That statement has been attributed to Will Rogers, Mark Twain, and just about every other source you can imagine. It was used in advertising by people trying to push the western expansion, and it still pops up now and then as sage investment advice. But I just don't see it.

I own several chunks of land, and every one of them has dropped in value over the past three years. So where's the big demand? Well, so much for sage advice - in fact, one of the pieces of land I own is in Arizona, and sage may very well be the only thing on it of any value. I have looked at it via Google Earth, Google Maps, and a few other computer imaging sites, and there truly is nothing for miles. No roads, no power poles, no water, it's a good five miles off the highway, and nobody seems to be developing anything anywhere nearby.

I inherited that one from my late father, and he owned it since as long as I can remember. He kept saying that the city would expand and people would want to live in the suburbs... but the city is Bullhead City, and people don't seem to want to live in town, much less the non-existent suburbs.

So I pay my property taxes of $84 per year, and hope that by the time I find a buyer, I will have not spent more than I get. And as I said, I got it for free.

So where's the true good value these days? What can we invest in which will never drop in value? I sure don't see anything, other than each other. We can invest in friends, relatives, each other - people. Yes, they will let you down now and then. And no, I don't know of anything on the planet capable of inflicting more pain on humans than other humans. But I'm not looking to make a 'profit' off of this one, I'm just trying to spend my time wisely. So I am investing in people - I have for most of my life, and I will continue to.

And there you have it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete