Friday, December 4, 2009

Opiate of the apathetic


Religion. What a dangerous thing. We can so often build our lives around a group of man-made beliefs, habits and codes, only to overlook the most important part: God. Passion. Movement. Growth. Pick one, any one.

I have just finished a 12 week study aimed at igniting the hearts of believers. I did it with a group of men, and I got the feeling that most of them were not going to burst into flame anytime soon. Sort of wet kindling, if you know what I mean. I think that the best reason that most of them could give for showing up week after week is that we met on Wednesday night, and they have always gone to church on Wednesday night. Fine - if one or two of us catch a spark, so be it. The amazing part is that we watched a video which had some exciting ideas in it, was full of scriptural teaching, and contained challenge after challenge. Exactly like our Pastor has done for the past 16 years...

OH! I forgot to put up the RANT ALARM: the following is a test of the "Chas Rant" system. If this had been an actual blog, I would have been sneaking in some scripture or a hidden truth by now. I just had to vent. Phew! Thanks, I feel better now. Really.

Book of James - first chapter: 26If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

So - we need to speak carefully, help the helpless, and pursue purity. Works for me. I'll let you know if I achieve perfection, but in the meantime, I'll be working on the pursuit. Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment